By Laura Shultz
As the oldest of six kids, I’ve learned a thing or two about the joy (and pain!) of having a big family. Looking back over my childhood, let me share just a couple reasons why growing up with a lot of siblings is basically the greatest thing ever.
1. It’s impossible to be bored or lonely, because with siblings, every day is a playdate!
2. Growing up with siblings really toughens you up.
3. No one ever messes with you, because they know they’ll have to answer to your big brother or sister.
As a big sibling, I know this well. I get to beat up on my little siblings, but if anyone else tries to, they’re going down!
4. You and your siblings have enough people to field your own kickball team.
Which may, sometimes, end badly.
5. More kids = more birthdays. More birthdays = more cake. Need I say more?
6. It’s scientifically proven* that your immune system is stronger, because you’ve already been exposed to so many germs.
*Maybe not scientifically proven. But I’m convinced.
7. Laughs. SO MANY laughs.
…usually, it’s because one of the kids farted at the dinner table. Only the finest of humor.
8. 15-passenger vans are the sweetest ride around.
They see me rollin’, they hatin’…
9. You always have someone to catch you when you fall.
Literally, and metaphorically!
10. Most importantly….the Bible says that children are a blessing from the Lord. And if, like me, you’ve been blessed to grow up with a whole brood of them, you’ll know that this is SO. TRUE. Sure, we fight and get on each others’ nerves. But we’re each other’s best friends, closest allies, and biggest supporters. And that’s an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything.